Reese Witherspoon – How Do You Know Interview
Reese Witherspoon has already proven that she’s a pro at comedy. So when veteran writer/director James L. Brooks approached the Oscar-winning actress to star alongside Owen Wilson and Paul Rudd in How Do You Know, she jumped at the chance.
Tribute’s Toni-Marie Ippolito sat down with Reese in New York to talk about her love of rom-coms, working with Wilson and Rudd and what happens to her when she falls in love!
Director Brooks knows romance
When Reese Witherspoon feels her love life is veering off track, rather than call a girlfriend, she turns to 70-year-old director James L. Brooks for guidance.
“He’s been a really great confidante and is really caring and interested in people’s lives,’’ the actress says during an interview at a hotel. “I tell him a lot and he gives me romantic advice, especially when I’m dating. He has a wealth of knowledge about romantic dynamics and I don’t know where it comes from.’’
It could stem from more than four decades of guiding fictional women through rocky personal and professional terrain. Brooks created “The Mary Tyler Moore Show’’ and “Rhoda’’ in the ’70s and went on to write and direct several films, including “Broadcast News,’’ “Terms of Endearment,’’ and “As Good as It Gets.’’ So who better to dish with than the man who walked Mary through countless dates, finally found Rhoda a husband, and, in “Broadcast News,’’ helped Holly Hunter’s character understand that her career would always be her first love? Brooks, who wrote and directed “How Do You Know,’’ which opens Friday, says he spends a lot of time thinking about romance, so he’s happy to share his perspective. In fact, in his latest film, he makes the case that in the face of life’s uncertainties and pitfalls, love has become an increasingly important commodity.
“Everybody went to war on our ability to trust, so I think the last stand is, ‘honey, give me your hand,’ ’’ he says in his hotel suite last week. “The truth is people are so afraid to make sentimental films, but the point of this film is true. It’s the fact that really bad things can happen to you and the right person can walk through the door and make things better. The problem remains large, but your spirit rises and the problem shifts in position a little. It doesn’t quite occupy center stage and I think that’s true and romantic.’’
As posted about earlier, Miss Reese attended the world premiere of her new movie How Do You Know in Los Angeles last night, and I now have the first batch of photos for you! 48 HQ photos have been added to our Gallery, and there are plenty more to follow. Reese looked super pretty in her Zac Posen cocktail dress with Yves Saint Laurent Trib Too suede pumps, and she posed with her co-stars Paul Rudd, Owen Wilson and Kathryn Hahn, as well as their director James L. Brooks.
There are some gorgeous photos in there, but I have to point out this photo (and the one after it), of Reese being shown the DVD for Overnight Delivery, her first movie with Paul Rudd released back in 1998, and a classic old-school Reese movie! Wonder what she said to reporters when shown the DVD … (If you haven’t seen that movie then I’d definitely recommend it, it’s really funny!).
Be sure to let us know your thoughts on Reese’s look by leaving a comment here!
Stay tuned for more coverage from the premiere tomorrow (all being well), including videos, articles & quotes, and more photos!
- Public Appearances > Events in 2010 > How Do You Know LA Premiere
Reese Witherspoon is always in the ‘Know’ about her life
Reese Witherspoon, actress and mother of two, is well-versed in the mysteries and mores of love, and she spends hours discussing and debating them with her girlfriends.
“I’m literally the girl who talks constantly about relationships. I hang up with one (friend), and I pick up the phone and call another one. It’s an ongoing dialogue all day long,” she says. “I don’t understand a woman who doesn’t talk about love and relationships.”
She has been through a divorce (from actor Ryan Phillippe) and breakups (most notably with actor Jake Gyllenhaal), but Witherspoon isn’t one to get hung up on past amorous calamities. She views them as life lessons.
“You gotta be glad that you went through them, and you gotta be glad that you learned from them,” says Witherspoon, 34. “You gotta learn what you want.”
And like so many of the romantically challenged, you have to figure out if he’s the one for you. That’s the perplexing question Witherspoon toys with Friday in How Do You Know, a rom-com with the actress playing a past-her-prime softball pro who gets cut from Team USA and finds herself torn between two guys: a self-absorbed jock (Owen Wilson) and a somewhat neurotic businessman (Paul Rudd). But unlike Witherspoon, who exudes certainty and self-assurance, the character of Lisa is a romantic naïf.
“She’s not very good at articulating her feelings. She’s never been in a serious relationship. She’s almost an innocent,” says Witherspoon. “She doesn’t care if (men) call her back if she slept with them. She’s having sex for fun and sex for sport.”
Reese looked beautiful at the premiere of How Do You Know in New York City last night, wearing a little black and pink lace cocktail dress with her blonde hair styled naturally and left down. Below is a preview photo from the event, and I will be back later today to add many more!
Since my last update yesterday I’ve been capping all the recent How Do You Know TV Spots and clips! Reese looks beautiful, and I’m excited to see the whole film now. I particularly like the awkward yet funny ‘Restaurant’ clip! All of these clips and tv spots have already been posted here, so scroll back through our recent updates to find them.
We also have the first ‘For Your Consideration’ advert (courtesy of awardsdaily.com), asking voters to consider How Do You Know when nominating for the Golden Globe Awards. The Golden Globe nominations are announced tomorrow, so fingers crossed for some recognition for Miss Reese and the movie!
Tonight is the world premiere of How Do You Know, so check back here for the first photos tomorrow! Can’t wait to see what Reese wears and hear her talk about the movie more!
- Movies > How Do You Know? > TV Spot #1 Screencaptures
- Movies > How Do You Know? > TV Spot #2 Screencaptures
- Movies > How Do You Know? > TV Spot #3 Screencaptures
- Movies > How Do You Know? > TV Spot ‘In Love’ Screencaptures
- Movies > How Do You Know? > TV Spot ‘In Luck’ Screencaptures
- Movies > How Do You Know? > TV Spot ‘Questions’ Screencaptures
- Movies > How Do You Know? > Blooper Reel Screencaptures
- Movies > How Do You Know? > Clip Screencaptures – ‘Seeing Your Place’
- Movies > How Do You Know? > Clip Screencaptures – ‘Restaurant’
- Movies > How Do You Know? > International Trailer Screencaptures
- Movies > How Do You Know? > ‘For Your Consideration’ Ads
PopSugar.com were in attendance at a recent press junket/conference for How Do You Know, and have posted a handful of quotes from it! Have a read …
• Reese on bad blind dates: “I had someone correct my grammar on a blind date once, and I knew in the first ten minutes that the date was over. You just don’t correct someone’s grammar! I’m from Tennessee I probably said everything wrong. I probably said ain’t or something.”
• Reese on her motivations: “I’m definitely one of those people who has post-its everywhere. The six evils of the world. I really do! Desire, greed, envy. . . Try to tell myself all those things to avoid! Positive affirmations, I have to say “Judge not lest ye be judged” has guided me through life.”
• Reese on being unsettled like her character: “I think it’s really interesting to play a woman who can articulate that she isn’t ready to have a family — isn’t even sure she wants to have a family! I have a lot of friends like that. I think it’s a really interesting character than can say it. And I think Jim really wrote it so beautifully, that emotional honesty of someone who is not afraid to be honest about maybe not wanting what other women want. And I think there’s a lot of women out there like that. I think it’s really interesting to play a character like that. Obviously it’s not like myself, I have two kids, a very sort of settled-down life. But it was cool to play that girl.”
I may have posted some of these before, but I’ve collected together all TV Spots I’ve found to promote How Do You Know.
As I’ve mentioned before, Reese has been busy promoting How Do You Know in New York City this week. Today I have added photos of her arriving at TV studios for her appearances on Letterman and Regis & Kelly, as well as from the How Do You Know Press Conference held on Tuesday.
I am looking for videos from Reese’s TV appearances this week, but so far with not much luck! If anyone can contribute videos of Reese on Regis & Kelly (Dec 7th) and/or The Today Show (Dec 6th) then please get in touch!
Enjoy these lovely new appearances photos, and check back later for more How Do You Know updates!
- Public Appearances > Events in 2010 > Arriving For David Letterman
- Public Appearances > Events in 2010 > Leaving the Regis & Kelly studios
- Public Appearances > Events in 2010 > How Do You Know Press Conference